1. You can't refract every patient to 20/20 so don't automatically blame your refracting skills if the patient doesn't achieve 20/20.
2. When offered an opportunity to progress in your career - take it. Even if it's not what YOU think you want to do. It could lead to other opportunities in the future.
3. Don't worry about what your coworkers say or do.. It speaks more about them than it does about you. It's just not worth the energy.
4. Avoid gossip and drama.
5. No matter how much you love your career always strive to maintain a work/life balance.
6. Don't get complacent. Embrace mastering new technology and instruments that are introduced into the practice.
7. Give your boss more than s/he expects of you.
8. Never stop reading.
9. Get involved in the ophthalmology community through continuing education and volunteer opportunities
10. Always remember the patient is a person... not just a set of eyeballs.